Tuesday 20 November 2012

Gibby rides again!

Asked . . . And Answered.

Martin's most recent post posed the question - What next?

Bob Elliot believes he has the answer. The return of John Gibbons as Toronto Blue Jays manager. According to Elliot, the Jays will introduce Gibbons as their hire on Tuesday. An excerpt from the article:

It’s not Cito Gaston 2.0, but John Gibbons 2.0.
Gibbons, who managed the Blue Jays for parts of five seasons from 2004 to 2008, will be introduced Tuesday morning as their next manager.

At the general managers meeting in Indian Wells, Calif., Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said he was “looking for someone he could work with, someone his staff could work with, someone who was good for the city, good for the whole country.

And:

. . . under J.P. Ricciardi. Anthopoulos and Gibbons were close friends, working well together.
Anthopoulos and Gibbons were spotted dining in Yorkville Sunday night.

 Just my personal opinion - I LOVE it. I always liked Gibby when he was here before, and was not in favor of his dismissal. He's not perfect but no manager is. But he brought more of the qualities I like in a manager than most, by far. I've been jokingly tweeting, on occasion, "Bring back Gibby!" - not because i wasn't seriously interested but because i had no clue the Blue Jays would every actually consider it, let alone do it.

If I'm to watch this team make a run deep into September as a contender, even make the playoffs - I'd much rather see Gibby get the chance to enjoy that success than, say, Mike Hargrove or Tim Wallach. I may have a certain emotional bias but that's okay.

All that said, I want to see Manny Acta as 3B (or Bench) coach. We need what he brings to the staff, without having to worry about whether he's actually well suited to be a manager.

Is it spring yet?


EDIT: Yes, I know it's been almost 3 weeks since a minor league ranking, but the flood of big news kind of interrupted that. Even though Jays Journal is ripping off my schtick ( I love you guys, seriously!) I'm not going to forget to finish. Just be patient.

No comments: