Tuesday 29 April 2008

Dave Purcey, Bâtard Magnifique

Dave Purcey rebounded from his worst start of the year (6 IP, 2 ER, yes, I am aware that he was still very good) with a Halladay-esque performance against the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs, the worst team in the International League by leaps and bounds.

Purcey went 8 strong, allowing only 2 hits and no runs earned or otherwise. The most encouraging sign was that he walked only one while striking out 9. He threw 72 of 100 pitches for strikes and induced 10 groundouts to 5 fly ball outs. Everything about this outing was delicious.

The Chiefs won 1-0, pushing one across in the 9th to make a winner of Big D.

Regardless of where you stand on Jesse Litsch as the fifth starter--and I do think he's adequate in that role no matter how much I rip on him--Purcey is auditioning nicely for the rotation spot that's soon to be vacated by AJ Burnett.

Like Job, poor Doc was made to suffer once again tonight. I'm really in no mood to listen to Wilner after his third straight complete game loss because I don't feel like hearing rationalizations about how much more baseball there is left to play this season.

I'm inconsolabe and need to pour myself a whisky.

-- Johnny Was

No comments: