Tuesday 29 April 2008

Oops, I did it again!


This loss was pretty brutal, and I shouldn't be posting after it cause I'll probably say a few things I'll regret....

Am I the only one absolutely frustrated with Vernon Wells? It's his third error of the season, and by my count the 7th or 8th time on a routine ground ball it somehow bobbles out of his glove. Maybe it's a wet grass or a bad hop once or twice, but this is getting ridiculous. I don't know if it's a lack of focus, or if he's seriously having trouble fielding somewhat routine plays, but it's getting out of hand now. Watch Wells going forward on routine plays, because I'm positive he's booting a ton of routine plays and not getting called out for it.

This time it cost Doc and the Jays a huge opportunity to gain ground in the AL East. I'll give credit to Lester - he pitched a good game. But Doc was just incredible. His curve, his two seemer, they were as good as they've ever been. He was the definition of an ace in that game. And yet, he comes out with a loss.

The Jays got 4 BB and couldn't do anything with it. When a pitcher hands you so many bases, it's unacceptable not to score on them.

I really got a bad vite when I saw Halladay leave at the end of the game. He was beyond pissed, and I think his frustration went beyond this game. That should count as his fourth straight complete game, and yet he's lost 3 of the 4 games.

Despite all the failed attempts at driving in runners, this game was pretty much over when Pedroia absolutely robbed Wells of a hit in the 8th. If the Jays had built any momentum, it was gone and transferred to Boston.

Tabler & JC brought up a good point earlier in the game. This team will live & die by how Vernon Wells does. And I think it was pretty obvious tonight.

Twitchy.

3 comments:

The Southpaw said...

Wilner flippantly dismissed a caller on JaysTalk who asked if Doc would re-sign here, saying it was pretty much a slam dunk that he would. He comes out of his current contract at age 33 and could still conceivably sign a rich 5-year deal (perhaps $100 mil?). I think it's facetious to assume that he's ours forever.

JW

The Southpaw said...

I'd love to believe he'll just re-sign here. And he's a terrific human being, and it's possible that despite how poorly we're playing, he might just do it because unlike what you or I would do, Doc would stick with it because he wants to win as a Jay and only a Jay.

But we're really really testing Doc's patience.

And I thought a certain someone promised he wouldn't listen to Wilner :p.

Twitch.

The Southpaw said...

Just five minutes of it, I swear. It's like crack.